Saturday, 18 February 2012 00:22
1. Payam Congress
1) The Payam Congress is the highest political organ of the SPLM in the Payam and shall be composed of:
a) Delegates from Boma Congresses. The number of Delegates from each Boma shall be proportional to the number of its registered members. This category of members shall not exceed 80% of the total Delegates to the Payam Congress.
b) Representatives of women and youth leagues and popular and syndicated organizations.
c) All Members of the Payam Liberation Council.
d) Appointees of the SPLM Payam Chairperson.
2) The quorum for convening the Payam Congress shall be two thirds (2/3) of its members. In case the quorum is not attained in the first sitting the quorum for the second sitting shall be by simple majority (50%+l) and its resolutions shall be binding.
3) Resolutions of the Payam Congress shall be passed by a simple majority of the members present and voting and in case of a tie; the Chair shall have a casting vote.
4) The Payam Congress shall convene once every five years; however the Congress may convene an extraordinary meeting with the same membership whenever necessary.
5) Voting in the Payam Congress shall be by show of hands. However, secret ballot may be adopted whenever demanded by at least one third of the Delegates.
1.1. Functions and Powers of the PC
The functions of the Payam Congress shall be to:
1) Ensure implementation of policies and programs of the SPLM in the Payam;
2) Receive and discuss the reports of the Payam Liberation Council (PLC) and Payam Secretariat;
3) Review, ratify, alter or rescind any decision made by the PLC;
4) Elect the Chairperson, members of the PLC and delegates to the County Congress.
2. Payam Liberation Council (PLC)
The PLC shall:-
1) Lead the SPLM in the Payam between sessions of the Payam Congress and represent the Party in its relations with other associations, institutions and political parties at the Payam level;
2) Oversee the implementation of the policies and resolutions of the Payam Congress.
3) Oversee the work of the Payam Secretariat.
4) Approve the annual budget of the SPLM in the Payam as proposed by the Payam Secretariat.
5) Be an appellate authority on the loss of membership of the SPLM in the Payam.
6) Elect the Payam Secretary and his or her Assistants and may remove any of them by simple majority.
7) Report to the Payam Congress.
8) Adopt and form, on the recommendation of the Payam Secretariat, the Payam Congress Electoral Committee that shall carry out the election process during the Payam Congress.
9) Determine its rules of procedure subject to the provisions of this Constitution, rules and regulations.
2.1. Meetings of the PLC
1) The PLC shall be convened in regular sessions at least once every six months, and may be convened in extraordinary sessions whenever deemed necessary by the Payam Chairperson or on a written request by at least one quarter (1/4) of the members of the PLC.
2) The quorum for the meetings of the PLC shall be simple majority of its membership (50% + I)
3) Resolutions of the PLC shall be passed by a simple majority of the members present and voting and in case of a tie; the Chair shall have a casting vote.
4) Voting in the PLC shall be by show of hands. However, secret ballot may be adopted whenever demanded by at least one third (1/3) of the members.
3. Payam Secretariat
1) Payam Secretariat shall be comprised of the Payam Secretary and four assistants as shall be determined by PLC on the recommendation of the Payam Chairperson.
2) The PLC shall determine the structure, functions and duties of the Payam Secretariat and specialized committees in accordance with the provisions of this Constitution, SPLM rules and regulations.
3.1. Functions and Duties of the PS
Without prejudice to the provisions of Article 54 (2) above, the Payam Secretariat shall:
1) Be responsible for initiation of policies, programs and plans to be approved by the PLC;
2) Be responsible, at the Payam level, for implementation of policies, programs, decisions and resolutions of the higher organs of the Party;
3) Be in charge of the day to day activities of the SPLM in the Payam;
4) Report and be answerable to the Payam Chairperson and the PLC in discharge of its functions and duties;
5) Receive and consider reports from the Boma Secretariats;
6) Manage and control the funds and assets of the Party at the Payam level,
7) Report on the status of the Party, its financial position and any other matters as may be specified by the Payam Chairperson or the PLC;
8) Issue and send directives and instructions to ,and receive reports from the Boma Secretariats;
9) Supervise and direct the work of the SPLM organs in the Payam.
10) Oversee the work of the Payam women and youth leagues of the SPLM;
11) Co-opt persons with the necessary knowledge and expertise to enable it carry out its work efficiently;
12) Perform any other function or duty that may be assigned to it by the Payam Chairperson or the PLC.
3.2. Meetings of the PS
1) The Payam Secretariat shall meet at least three times a month, and shall be presided over by the Payam Secretary or the Payam Chairperson as the situation may require.
2) Meetings of the Payam Secretariat shall be convened by the Payam Secretary.
3) Quorum for the meetings of the Payam Secretariat shall be four members.
4) Decisions of the Payam Secretariat shall be taken by simple majority of the members present and voting and in case of a tie, the Chair shall have a casting vote.
5) The Payam Secretariat may invite any member of the SPLM with expertise or experience to attend its meetings. Such a member may participate in the deliberations and may be assigned tasks to perform on behalf of the Payam Secretariat, but shall have no right to vote.