Last Updated on Saturday, 18 February 2012 00:22 Saturday, 18 February 2012 00:08
1. County Congress
1) The County Congress is the highest political organ of the SPLM in the County and shall be composed of:
a) Delegates from Payam Congresses. The number of Delegates from each Payam shall be proportional to the number of its registered members. This category of members shall not exceed 80% of all the Delegates to the County Congress.
b) Representatives of women and youth leagues and popular and syndicated organizations.
c) All Members of the County Liberation Council
d) Appointees of the County Chairperson.
2) The quorum for convening the County Congress shall be two thirds (2/3) of its members. In case the quorum is not attained in the first sitting the quorum for the second sitting shall be by simple majority (5O%+l) and its resolutions shall be binding.
3) Resolutions of the County Congress shall be passed by a simple majority of the members present and voting and in case of a tie, the Chair shall have a casting vote.
4) The County Congress shall convene once every five years; however the Congress may convene an extraordinary meeting with the same membership whenever necessary.
5) Voting in the County Congress shall be by show of hands. However secret ballot may be adopted whenever demanded by at least one third of the Delegates.
1.1. Functions and Powers of the County Congress
The functions of the County Congress shall be to:
a) Ensure implementation of policies and programs of the SPLM in the County;
b) Receive and discuss the reports of the County Liberation Council and County Secretariat;
c) Review, ratify, alter or rescind any decision made by the CLC;
d) Elect the County Chairperson, members of the CLC and delegates to the State Congress.
2. County Liberation Council (CLC)
1) The CLC shall comprise of not more than 35 members; provided that women are represented by at least twenty five percent (25%).
2) Membership of the CLC shall be composed of:
(a) The County Chairperson
(b) The County Deputy Chairperson, County Secretary and Assistants of the County Secretary elected by CLC.
(c) Members elected by the County Congress representing the Payams who shall not exceed 80% of all the members of the CLC;
(d) Members elected by the County Congress representing SPLM Women and Youth Leagues and popular and syndicated organizations;
(d) Appointees of the County Chairperson.
3) The CLC shall have the following functions and duties:
a) Elect and may remove the County Deputy Chairperson, County Secretary and Assistants to the County Secretary.
b) lead the SPLM in the County between sessions of the County Congress and represent the Party in its relations with other associations, institutions and political parties at the County level;
c) Oversee the implementation of the policies and resolutions of the County Congress;
d) Oversee the work of the County Secretariat.
e) Approve the annual budget of the SPLM in the County as proposed by the County Secretariat.
f) Be an appellate authority on the loss of membership of the SPLM in the County.
g) Report to the County Congress.
h) Adopt and form, on the recommendation of the County Secretariat, the County Congress Electoral Committee that shall carry out the election process during the County Congress;
i) Establish Specialized Standing or Ad doc Committees for carrying out its functions and duties.
j) Determine its rules of procedure subject to the provisions of this Constitution, rules and regulations.
2.1. Meetings of the CLC
1) The CLC shall be convened in regular sessions at least once every six months, and may be convened in extraordinary sessions whenever deemed necessary by the County Chairperson or on a written request by at least one quarter (1/4) of the members of the CLC.
2) The quorum for the sittings of the CLC shall be simple majority of its membership (50% + I)
3) Resolutions of the CLC shall be passed by a simple majority of the members present and voting and in case of a tie; the Chair shall have a casting vote.
4) Voting in the CLC shall be by show of hands. However, secret ballot may be adopted whenever demanded by at least one third of the members.
3. County Secretariat
1) County Secretariat shall be comprised of the County Secretary and five assistants as shall be determined by CLC on the recommendation of the County Chairperson.
2) The CLC shall determine the structure, functions and duties of the County Secretariat and specialized committees in accordance with the provisions of this Constitution, SPLM Rules and Regulations.
3.1. Functions and Duties of the County Secretariat
Without prejudice to the provisions of Article 45(2) above, the County Secretariat shall:
1) Be responsible for initiation of policies, programs and plans to be approved by the CLC;
2) Be responsible, at the County level, for implementation of policies, programs, decisions and resolutions of the higher organs of the Party;
3) Be in charge of the day to day activities of the SPLM in the County;
4) Report and be answerable to the County Chairperson and the CLC in the discharge of its functions and duties;
5) Receive and consider reports from the Payam Secretariats;
6) Manage and control the funds and assets of the Party at the County level, report on the status of the Party, its financial position and any other matters as may be specified by the County Chairperson or the CLC;
7) Issue and send directives and instructions to ,and receive reports from the Payam Secretariats;
8) Supervise and direct the work of the SPLM organs in the County including the local government caucuses;
9) Oversee the work of the County women and youth leagues of the SPLM;
10) Co-opt persons with the necessary knowledge and expertise to enable it carry out its work efficiently;
11) Perform any other function or duty that may be assigned to it by the County Chairperson or the CLC;
3.2. Meetings of the County Secretariat
1) The County Secretariat shall meet at least three times a month, and shall be presided over by the County Secretary or the County Chairperson as the situation may require.
2) Meetings of the County Secretariat shall be convened by the County Secretary.
3) Quorum for the meetings of the County Secretariat shall be four members.
4) Decisions of the County Secretariat shall be taken by simple majority of the members present and voting and in case of a tie, the Chair shall have a casting vote.
5) The County Secretariat may invite any member of the SPLM to attend its meetings. Such a member may participate in the deliberations and may be assigned tasks to perform on behalf of the County Secretariat, but shall have no right to vote.