Cde Itto hails SPLM unity as NLC meeting closes
JUBA (March 30, 2012) – SPLM Deputy Secretary General Cde Dr. Anne Itto commended the members of the National Liberation Council (NLC) Friday for the unity they displayed throughout 2nd NLC meeting, saying this was crucial for the process of reorganizing the SPLM for the huge tasks that lay ahead.
“The four days made me feel confident that we are still united,” said Cde Itto in remarks at the closing ceremony of the five-day NLC meeting, shortly before she read the Communiqué.
The Deputy Secretary General hailed NLC members for the “hard work”, adding that they had made invaluable contributions during the sessions.
She particularly praised the leadership of the party for the “wisdom, encouragement and seriousness” they showed “in working with the members of the NLC”
Cde Itto further thanked the international community, leaders of other political parties, the clergy and civil society for their interest in peace, stability and development of the country as well as in the social well-being of its people.
She also said the SPLM General Secretariat would endeavor to implement all resolutions of the meeting, which SPLM chairman Cde Salva Kiir had called to do the following:
1. Realign the party’s vision and mission to the new reality of South Sudan becoming an independent sovereign state as of 9 July 2011 and as mandated by the constitution of the party,
2. Review of SPLM Basic Documents and present them to the SPLM 1st Extraordinary Convention to amend and approve the party basic documents (constitution, manifesto, basic rules and regulations).
3. Deliberate and endorse the roadmap for restructuring and reorganization of the party as proposed by the SPLM General Secretariat.
4. Take stock of the current economic and security situation in the country and offer short e long term recommendations to the government of the Republic of South Sudan.
5. Form seven NLC working committees that will be headed by Political Bureau Members as the PB shall be the implementing organ of the NLC policies and programs.
6. Provide, as a ruling party, visionary leadership to the Republic of South Sudan with the aim and objective of ensuring and building a free, peaceful and prosperous sovereign state.